sogi 1 2 3 Personal Information Protection Policy
SOGI 1 2 3 is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information for all users of SOGIeducation.org as outlined in the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). PIPA, which came into effect on January 1, 2004, sets out the ground rules for how B.C. businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information.
We will inform our users about why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This Personal Information Protection Policy, in compliance with PIPA, outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting users’ personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our users’ personal information and allowing our users to request access to, and correction of, their personal information.
Scope of this Policy
This Personal Information Protection Policy applies to SOGI 1 2 3, including ARC Foundation and partners that collect, use or disclose personal information through SOGIeducation.org.
- Personal Information –means information about an identifiable individual e.g. name, home address and phone number, IP address. Personal information does not include contact information (described below).
- Contact information – means information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business and includes name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number. Contact information is not covered by this policy or PIPA.
- Privacy Officer – means the individual designated responsibility for ensuring that SOGI 2 3 complies with this policy and PIPA.
Collecting Personal Information
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the user voluntarily provides personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect user information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To identify user preferences e.g. website analytics such as user’s web browser and operating system, the date and time of the visit, the pages or services accessed, IP network and address
- To send out updates and information e.g. name, phone number, address, personal email address
- To contact our users about programs or initiatives e.g. name, phone number, address, personal email address
- To ensure a high standard of service to our users
We will obtain user consent to collect, use or disclose personal information. Consent can be provided in writing or electronically or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the user voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose.
Using and Disclosing Personal Information
We will only use or disclose user personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection, or for a purpose reasonably related to those purposes such as:
- To conduct user surveys to enhance the provision of our services
- To contact our users directly about programs and services that may be of interest
We will not sell user lists or personal information to other parties.
Retaining Personal Information
We will retain user personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that user personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the user or disclosed to another organization. Users may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness
Securing Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring the security of user personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks. This includes making reasonable security arrangements against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure or disposal. Access to systems, applications and the collected data is restricted to authorized personnel only. Furthermore, any personal information collected and used for identifying user trends (e.g. page views, IP address) is aggregated and made anonymous during report generation.
Providing Users Access to Personal Information
Users have a right to access their personal information, subject to limited exceptions. A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought. Upon request, we will also tell users how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
Questions and Complaints
The Privacy Officer is responsible for ensuring SOGI 1 2 3 compliance with this policy and the Personal Information Protection Act. Users should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding SOGI 1 2 3 compliance in writing to the Privacy Officer. If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve the concern, the user may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
Contact information for SOGI 1 2 3 Privacy Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org or
SOGI 1 2 3 Privacy Officer, c/o ARC Foundation, PO Box 20064, Fairview Post Office, 525 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4B3, Canada.